Effects of Temperature Changes on Marijuana Plants
Marijuana plants like all plants need food, warmth and water to grow healthy and give good yields. All the above elements in the grow patterns of the plants can be controlled by growers as long as the plants are growing in an environment that is not exposed to nature for example growing indoors or in a greenhouse.
The effect of temperature fluctuations can be disastrous to plants for a number of reasons. When the temperatures are very low for example, the plant grows at a slower rate because it is not able to photosynthesise as fast as it would in normal temperatures. Photosynthesis refers to the process by which plants use light to convert the nutrients that they absorb from the soil and water into soluble foods used up by the other plant processes that lead to its growth. If the temperature fluctuates once in a while, it will not produce a visible difference in the overall growth of the plant because it will adjust. However, if very low temperatures persist or go uncorrected as far as indoor setups are concerned, the cannabis will completely stop growing.
Growth is stopped because the plants tissues are damaged. Once this happens, it is very hard to restore them and the parts that are affected may not be recovered again depending on the extent of damage. Where the temperature drop is a result of no lighting, the cannabis does not photosynthesise firstly because they don’t do so in the dark but also because they are trying to fix the damaged tissues.
When the temperatures become very high on the other hand, the effect is almost the same as when it is too low. The growth rate of the plant slows down at first and if the temperatures are not corrected in time the plants stops growing completely. Older marijuana plants are usually the worst affected because they are vulnerable due to their reduced vigour as opposed to younger and stronger first time plants. This includes the category of regenerated or re-vegetated plants that have been harvested severally.
In severe heat, plants will lose excessive amounts of the water they normally transpire causing dehydration and can lead to their death. Plants that are grown outdoors have a slight advantage in cases of high temperatures because outside, the plants are blown by natural winds which assist them to cool down. The cool air removes the excess humidity that is caused when the transpired moisture heats up on the leaf surface. In indoor setups, growers would be advised to set up oscillating fans in their grow rooms as well as vents to let out hot air and waste gases to keep the plants cool.
Temperatures should never be allowed to go to the extremes which are beyond 40 degrees Celsius or below 20 degrees Celsius if the plants are to have good chances of surviving. Measures should be put in place to either automatically control the temperature in indoor setups or to shade plants from direct sunlight or extreme cold by moving plants into a greenhouse.
- Techniques of Rolling Cannabis for a Good Smoke
- How to Successfully Grow Marijuana Outdoors
- The Vegetative Phase of Cannabis
- Cannabis Recipe for Diabetics
- Effects of Over-fertilizing Cannabis Plants
- Tips for harvesting marijuana
- How to Grow the Best Possible Marijuana
- Tips for Foliar Feeding Marijuana
- Techniques Used in Enhancing Growth of Cannabis Plants
- How to Make Cannabutter From Cannabis
- Preparing Marijuana in Various Foods and Snacks
- Ways to Regenerate Marijuana Plants
- Effects of Mold on Marijuana Plants
- Properly germinating cannabis seedlings
- The positive effects of smoking marijuana
- Making cannabis infused milk
- What is a marijuana clinic?
- What Can Medical Marijuana Do?
- Pros And Cons Of Marijuana Use
- How To Make Chocolate Cannabis Cupcakes
- Growing Cannabis Useful Techniques
- Planning Your Own Marijuana Grow Room
- Planting Cannabis Seedlings
- Surprisingly Safe Marijuana
- Storing Marijuana
- Soil Properties Required For the Growing Of Cannabis
- Marijuana Recipes
- Marijuana Cookies
- Marijuana Chocolate Fudge
- Cannabis Buds
- How To Care For Your Cannabis Seedlings
- What Cannabis Abuse Can Do To Our Body
- Reasons Why Cannabis Is Illegal In Many Places
- What Cannabis Can Do To Our Bodies
- Harvesting Your Own Marijuana
- Marijuana Chocolate Frosting
- Marijuana Butter
- Hanging Marijuana to Cure
- Eating Marijuana
- Drying Your Marijuana Leaves