Magnesium Deficiency in Marijuana Plants
Just like any other plants, marijuana requires adequate amounts of macro-nutrients as well as primary minerals for optimum growth and health. Magnesium (Mg) is one of the essential nutrients for cannabis plants. Since this element is one of the central components of chlorophyll, it plays the role of facilitating light absorption during photosynthesis. What’s more, magnesium helps to neutralize acidic substances and toxic compounds as well as utilization of plant energy. It is also a major supporting nutrient for a number of additional metabolic processes that are essential for the proper growth of marijuana plants.
When there is a deficit of adequate amounts of magnesium in marijuana crops, certain disorders may start to form. However, the onset of symptoms may not be noticeable right away because it takes 4-6 weeks for visible signs to start manifesting. Magnesium deficient marijuana leaves normally start to develop tiny necrotic spots that have a rust brown hue which is accompanied with a cloud like chlorosis that mostly affects middle aged foliage. As the deficiency progresses, the brown spots may spread to other leaves while the edges of leaves begin to turn bright green or pale yellow. At this point, the marijuana plants appear visibly sick due to the blatant chlorosis of foliage. When left unattended, magnesium deficiency can spread to young leaves and eventually causing the entire plant to die off.
There are many factors that may contribute to decreased root absorption of magnesium in marijuana plants. Contrary to popular belief, soil infertility is not always the reason behind most plant nutrient disorders. In fact, lack of magnesium in cannabis plants can occur when levels of this mineral are normal within the soil or when they are above the required range. An undeveloped root system can contribute to this problem or even when the root environment is too cold, acidic or extremely wet. In other cases, magnesium deficiencies occur when levels of ammonia, calcium and/or potassium reach toxic levels. Although quite rare, magnesium toxicity can also inhibit intake of this mineral along with other ions in the growth medium used for cultivating marijuana plants.
Once a proper diagnosis has been made based on the symptoms present, there are several methods available to help cannabis plants recover from a magnesium deficiency. The solution however will mostly depend on the underlying cause. Any attempts to correct the problem with the wrong measures can lead to further mineral intake problems, which ultimately slows down growth. It is therefore important to carefully establish the actual cause of the magnesium deficiency disorder in cannabis.
If you have been following a proper nutrient feeding schedule, then make sure to check whether there is a pH problem before adding more magnesium enriched fertilizers so as to avoid intoxicate your plants. Make sure to adjust your pH if it is too acidic or alkaline. On the other hand, if there is an apparent lack of adequate magnesium in the growth medium, you can make use of soil additives that contain Mg compounds, but be certain no to over fertilize your marijuana plants.
- A Review on Manganese Deficiency in Cannabis Plants
- The Procedure for Acquiring a Permit to Grow and Sell Medical Marijuana in California
- Boron Deficiency in Marijuana Plants
- Molybdenum Deficiency in Cannabis Plants
- The Procedure for Getting a Medical Marijuana Card in California
- Calcium Deficiency in Marijuana Plants
- How to make Cannabutter
- Sulfur Deficiency in Marijuana Plants
- Potassium Deficiency in Cannabis Plants
- Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease and Medical Marijuana
- The Importance of Regulating pH When Growing Marijuana Plants
- Treatment of Cachexia and Medical Marijuana
- Chronic Pain Treatment with Medical Marijuana
- Treatment of Cancer with Medical Marijuana
- The History Behind the Discovery of Marijuana
- Reasons to Prune Your Marijuana Plants
- Growing Cannabis in the Right Soil
- Benefits of Cloning Marijuana Plants
- The Occurrence of Hermaphroditism in Cannabis Plants
- An Examination Of Cannabis’ Effects
- Cannabis Cultivation Outdoors
- Comparing Aeroponics And Hydroponics
- Planting Cannabis the Easy Way
- How to cure Nutrient Deficiencies in Marijuana Plants
- Using the Nutrient Film Technique for Growing Marijuana
- What to do if a Marijuana Plant was Knocked Down
- How to Pass a Marijuana Drug Test by Tampering
- Marijuana and Marijuana Inspired Christmas Gift Ideas
- Marijuana Banana Bread Recipe
- Cannabis And Arthritis
- Should Marijuana Or Cannabis Be Legalized?
- Some Benefits Of Medical Cannabis
- Useful Tips For New Marijuana Growers
- Info On Marijuana’s Flowering Stage
- Marijuana Grow Room Ideas
- Passing a Marijuana Drug Test
- Orange Bud Marijuana
- Marijuana or Weed?
- Marijuana Equipment
- Know about Marijuana and Soil